Sunday, November 10, 2013

Thanksgiving in Gorogszallas

On Friday we celebrated a special kind of Thanksgiving in Gorogszallas.  The European Union in partnership with a Catholic volunteer network delivered 5 tons of food to the village.  The church I work with created packages for each family and distributed them after a Thanksgiving church service.  

This struck me as an interesting and powerful moment because of how I'm used to celebrating Thanksgiving.  Typically, we celebrate by preparing more food than we can possibly eat and give thanks for the abundance in front of us.  There's probably more to say about this, but I'll let it sit for now and think about it until I celebrate American Thanksgiving with my colleagues in a few weeks.

On an unrelated note, snow is in the forecast here and I couldn't more be excited!  I don't think the volunteers from Arizona and Louisiana are as excited...

No comments:

Post a Comment